The countdown to Christmas is just days away and wreath in front of station 81 is still lite with all red lights. This wreath is not just decorations for the holidays; it’s on display for a purpose.
“Keep the Wreath Red” is a statewide fire safety campaign that reminds everyone to practice fire safety during the holiday season. For each fire caused by holiday decorations, the MFPD will replace one red bulb with a white bulb.
The wreath will be on display at MFPD Station 81 until January 1st.
You can help MFPD “Keep the Wreath Red” by following a few of easy safety tips:
• Unplug holiday lights before leaving home or sleeping
• Do not overload extension cords
• Be careful with candles and open flames
• Use flame-retardant decorations
• Ensure lights are in good condition and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed
• Keep natural trees watered; do not rely on chemical sprays to make your tree flame resistant
Remember to check all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. For more information and holiday safety tips visit www.NFPA.org.